On Sunday, Sept. 8, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church joined the 4 million members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) to commemorate the church’s 25th anniversary by participating in "God’s work. Our hands. Sunday" – a special day of service.
For 25 years, the ELCA has been a church deeply rooted in faith and in sharing its passion for making positive changes in the world. Under the theme “Always being made new,” Good Shepherd Lutheran Church joined ELCA congregations, synods, churchwide ministries and other partners to observe the anniversary year by continuing to boldly participate in God’s work in the world – restoring and reconciling communities, and pursuing peace and justice.
After the Sunday morning worship, congregation members of all ages rolled up their sleeves to serve our neighbor. The day of service activities included deck repair for an elderly couple, yard work for a family, singing at a Residence and Assisted Living homes, making place mats for Meals on Wheels and making quilts and baby kits for their on-going ministry to Lutheran World Relief. The day ended with the sharing of a meal and the sharing of their service projects.
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church is located at 1506 S. Attica Rd., Knoxville, IA.
About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United States, with more than 4 million members in nearly 10,000 congregations across the 50 states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church of “God’s work. Our hands.” the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ, unity among Christians and service in the world. The ELCA’s roots are in the writings of the German church reformer, Martin Luther.