Other school board notes:
• Board members Stephanie Vickroy and Mark Mahoney were absent.
• Accepted the resignation of Justin Kraber, high school study hall monitor, effective April 12.
• Approved the 2013-14 school calendar. School will start on Aug. 19. The board also approved an application to the state for the ability to start classes that soon.
• Accepted a bid from Lang Construction of West Des Moines in the amount of $297,400 to replace a cooling tower at the high school. The board has discussed this in depth at past board meetings. The cooling tower has not been replaced since the building opened in 1996. With the construction of the Knoxville Performing Arts Center underway, this was an opportune time for the replacement.
• Approved a change order for the Knoxville Performing Arts Center in the amount of $10,726 for a digital audio mixer. Change orders thus far for this project have totaled around $62,000, much less than the board set aside for contingencies. The board has allowed Superintendent Randy Flack to sign off on change orders below $10,000. Anything above has come before the board for approval.
• Approved the following sharing agreements with area districts:
-Chariton for a teacher librarian.
-Pleasantville for a teacher librarian, the Alternative High School and boys’ and girls’ soccer.
-Twin Cedars for the Alternative High School.
-Melcher-Dallas for the Director of Nutrition Services.
-Indianola for boys’ and girls’ swimming.
-Pella for the Alternative High School and high school academic programs.
• Granted tentative approval for the FCCLA trip to Nashville, Tenn. (See related article.)
• Approved football camps.
• The next regular board meeting will be Monday, April 22, at 5:30 p.m., in the KHS Media Center.