Tracy — A spark from the burst of a water pipe inside the rural Tracy home of Rob and Nicki Ford at 1029 260th led to an insulation fire early Tuesday morning, which rekindled later in the day.
Rob Ford said he noticed some smoldering insulation around 6 a.m. The Clay Township Fire Department responded and put the fire out. Around 10:50 a.m., Clay Township was paged out again as smoke was coming from the same area. The Fords feared that the fire was going to rekindle.
Clay Township sought additional manpower for the call, which was provided by Knoxville Township Fire Department. Using Knoxville Township's thermal imaging device, firemen went through the home to ensure that there was no chance of the insulation catching on fire again.
The damage to the home appeared to be limited. Damage includes burnt electrical wires and damage to the home's duct work. The Fords believe the home can be repaired. They have somewhere they can stay until the berm home is inhabitable once again.
The Fords said that the response by the sheriff's office, as well as the fire departments, could not have been better. Damage to the home could have been much worse, they added.