EPC includes for instance:
• Max Smith, who runs the big CAFO on Highway 5 between Knoxville and Attica.
• Brent Rastetter, who owns a company that builds factory farms.
• Joanne Stockdale, a past chair of ABI, the group that pushed the new rule.
• Cindy Greiman with Monsanto Iowa.
• Mary Boote, head of Truth about Trade & Technology, a group for big ag and free trade.
Get the picture? An agribusiness support group? Probably none – except Max Smith – live within breathing distance of a CAFO. No one known for their actions to clean our water. No one from any child safety or health initiatives group. No, all the EPC members for whom I could find a quick bio would be dollars ahead if nothing were done by DNR to protect Iowa’s environment.
Conclusion: we have well-trained, highly motivated foxes who are empowered to watch over all us chickens. Chickens who are too poorly organized to bring change for the great majority of Iowa citizens who would like clean water and clean air. “Cheep, cheep” – let’s get together and make change!