- Constitutional silence does not necessarily justify federal action Recently President Obama has spoken several times about his intention to use "executive orders" to bypass Congress and pursue things he wants accomplished. In addition to showing a certain contempt for representative self-government (Congress is elec
- Just how low will we go? We've sunk to a new low. It's a fashion faux pas of the dire, denim variety. I'm referring to jeans - waistbands in particular. Remember when pants used to sit at your waist, not three inches below? Now, we wear low-rise, which is designer secret cod
- Adventures in Marriage Every time I try to ride with my wife in her truck presents a new adventure. I never know what I will have to remove from the passenger seat to make room for myself. My lady, Marcy, drives a Chevy extended cab. It could hold up to four people, but mo
Slices of Life
Go green! Reduce, reuse, recycle! Be kind to Mother Earth. Protect our planet. The taglines promoting ecologically correct behaviors are as vast as our earnest plans to follow them. We want to do what's right, even if it takes a little more effort, s
- Traditions There's a tradition my niece, Brittney, and I have, and that tradition is watching stupid movies together. We've done this for as long as I can remember. We laugh our tails off at these movies. Tuesday night, we ventured out to watch "Anchorman 2" wi
- Resolution for the New Year? Before our energy for New Year's Resolutions is totally depleted, how about the U.S. Congress resolving something simple like WELL PAID WORK FOR ALL? There might not be such need for the Emergency Unemployment Compensation, now being debated in Washi
- Slices of Life: Sick days (and nights) I was sick last week. It felt like a long and miserable 12 days - and that was just Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm not good at being sick. Thankfully, I don't get much practice. I'm one of those robust and healthy types. I like to joke that I'm t
- Thank you Thank you To the Editor: In recent weeks, I have had contact with these three individuals : Ms Janet Ritchie, Director of the Marion County Historical Society Ms, Kathleen Smith, Curator of the Marion County Historical Museum Ms. Roslin Thompson, Di
Another View - “Our Better Angels”
Sometimes it’s hard to believe in those “better angels” we’re told we have inside us.
Movie Review: Captain Phillips
One of the films that has already had wide release, for which producers are seeking awards, is “Captain Phillips.”While “Captain Phillips” tells the harrowing story of the 2009 pirate abduction of Captain Richard Phillips, it's not a great movie. Tom Hanks plays the title character very well, but again, he's Tom Hanks. We know the man is talented and can carry a movie.
- More Opinion Headlines