- Why have a campaign? Bruce Braley will be our next US Senator and I'll tell you why. This does not please me, because upon reading about Braley, there are many differences between his values and mine. Nevertheless, I have complete and total confidence in his victory. We
- Letter to the Editor To the Editor: It would seem all too often public workers and administrators are considered ineffective and not willing to work with people on a variety of subjects. At least in regard to the Kiwanis Miracle Playground project at Young's Park, just
- Becoming a breadwinner -- in my own kind of way at least I've never been much of a breadwinner. Heck, I'm not much of a bread baker, and possess neither the mixing nor measuring skills required to take home any ribbons from any country fair. My youngest son, however, thinks otherwise. In his eyes, I am not
- Letter to the Editor-Jay Bender
- Letter to the Editor-Bill McCroskey
- Letter to the Editor-Brent Hanna
- Keep popping with pick up sticks Popcorn is a whole grain, making it a good-for-you food and since it is promoted by organizations such as the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the American Dental Association (ADA) and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (A.N.D.), there's no doubt
Have any of you visited McDonald’s or Walmart recently? Was the person who waited on you working?My visits to those places have shown me people who worked hard, usually fast, to meet my needs. And yet, most of their jobs pay lousy wages and provide low – or no – benefits. They are at the lowest end of the income group that makes up 99 percent of us, while most of the money stays with the 1 percent on top.
In the House of Wood
Following this latest showdown/crisis/debacle, whatever you want to call it, in Washington, it has become apparent to me that government is one big high school.
- Slices of Life: Coming clean in my house By Jill Pertler Last weekend I came out of the closet - with an armload that included an old Christmas sweater, two pairs of mom jeans and a maternity top from 1997. I'd been aware of the need for an organize-the-closet day, but had been avoiding the
- More Opinion Headlines