- Letter to the Editor-Jay Bender
- Letter to the Editor-Bill McCroskey
- Letter to the Editor-Brent Hanna
- Keep popping with pick up sticks Popcorn is a whole grain, making it a good-for-you food and since it is promoted by organizations such as the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the American Dental Association (ADA) and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (A.N.D.), there's no doubt
Have any of you visited McDonald’s or Walmart recently? Was the person who waited on you working?My visits to those places have shown me people who worked hard, usually fast, to meet my needs. And yet, most of their jobs pay lousy wages and provide low – or no – benefits. They are at the lowest end of the income group that makes up 99 percent of us, while most of the money stays with the 1 percent on top.
In the House of Wood
Following this latest showdown/crisis/debacle, whatever you want to call it, in Washington, it has become apparent to me that government is one big high school.
- Slices of Life: Coming clean in my house By Jill Pertler Last weekend I came out of the closet - with an armload that included an old Christmas sweater, two pairs of mom jeans and a maternity top from 1997. I'd been aware of the need for an organize-the-closet day, but had been avoiding the
In the House of Wood
The United States government has shut down, but yet, the sun came up, the seas still roared and Social Security checks were still issued. I'm sure some of you will think that I will take advantage of this opportunity to beat up on the Democrats, as
- Slices of Life: The Mower Fix My husband went out to mow the lawn last week. The good news: he came back. The bad news: he came back after cutting only half of the back yard. He entered the kitchen with an announcement. "Mower's broken," he said. "Not again," I said, feeling like
- No Headline Provided To the Editor: My wife and I are writing to express our appreciation for the wonderful visit we recently made to Knoxville and Pella. We came to Marion County to visit the birthplace of my grandfather and the grave sites of my great-great grandparen
- More Opinion Headlines