Letter from Humane Society
To the Editor:When I began to volunteer with the Marion County Humane Society (MCHS) nearly three years ago, I had little knowledge of the amount of time, effort and financial support that goes into caring for shelter animals. To say the least, my eyes have been opened after volunteering for a year, and then serving as the Assistant Director of MCHS for nearly two years.
- Slices of Life: The Gift of remembering Today I worked outside in the yard. Tending the gardens. Raking. Planting. Pulling weeds. Taking inventory -- lilies, hostas, poppies. And rhubarb. The large, elephant-eared leaves growing atop the crisp red stalks triggered thoughts of my mom. The p
- Memorial Day A Memorial Day poem On this beautiful Memorial Day We humbly bow our heads To pay homage to our fighting men The living and the Dead. Let us also hold in reverence The wives and mothers too, Who gave a husband or a son To die for me and you. Gre
- Slices of Life: I'll do it later "Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today." Thomas Jefferson Yeah right. I've been meaning to write a column about procrastination - I just never got around to it. Besides, I'm not sure even Thomas Jefferson could abide by his own words 100
- Some of the lessons of motherhood I've been on the job for more than 21 years, without a day off for longevity, illness, endurance or good behavior. I'm not complaining. I wouldn't want a day off. Not a whole day, anyway. Although I do appreciate 10 minutes under a hot shower within
- A thought for you How often do you stop and think How much you owe your mother And if she goes away for good You never have another How often do you realize Just how much she's worth The trouble she had raising you That started in at birth And as a child, the care you
- No Headline Provided To the Editor: In your recent article, "Controversy at Board of Health Meeting", the board had a problem at a meeting and blamed their argument on Robert's Rules of Order. They now plan to discuss whether to use Robert's Rules in the future. Your art
- The bonds of preschool It was a party 14 years in the making. Attendees included nine moms who met when our kids were in preschool. Now, we came together to anticipate and celebrate those same preschoolers' high school graduations. We sat around a long table at a local res
The Sinclair Report
This year’s legislative session was scheduled to last 110 days. We reached that mark on Friday, May 3. Though we are in the final days of the first year of the 85th General Assembly, our adjournment date remains uncertain.
- Medicaid expansion will help property tax payers Opponents of Medicaid expansion have mischaracterized the effect its implementation would have on Iowa counties. In pointing out the fact that more Iowans with a need for mental health services would be covered and funded with federal dollars, it is
- More Opinion Headlines
- Letter from Humane Society