- Turnovers doom Trojans at Pekin, 49-23 When you face a team steeped in football tradition on the road, you need to bring your "A Game". The Pleasantville Trojans found themselves facing a strong, tradition laced Pekin team at Pekin Friday night and that "A Game" was not there. Six turnov
- Panthers shut out by Pella, drop to 0-4 Led by their defense the Pella High Little Dutch knocked off cross-county rival Knoxville last Friday evening at Ken Locke Stadium in Knoxville 33-0. The win elevated the Dutch, ranked No. 3 in Class 3A at the time by the Des Moines Register, to 4-0
- Saints finish 2-1 at home tournament The Melcher-Dallas volleyball team finished 2-1 in their own tournament last weekend. The Saints won matches against Mormon Trail and Seymour. They were defeated by Martensdale-St. Mary's. Melcher-Dallas 2-Mormon Trail 1 Melcher-Dallas came out a lit
- Senior Olympics fields area slowpitch softball players Sonny Spaur, Fred Bankus and Norm Robinson all played on an Iowa Senior Olympic Slowpitch Softball Team age 75 and above at the national tournament in Cleveland, Ohio. Spaur, a pitcher from Bussey, helped the Iowa team win three games. Bankus, from P
Video: Panthers fall to the Cardinals
A couple of bad breaks spoiled the Knoxville Panthers' 100th meeting with the Newton Cardinals Friday night, as the boys fell 42-28.
The sounds of the crowd, feel of the cool October air, smells of popcorn, there’s justsomething unique about high school football Friday nights.
Heat affects sports plans
The heat and humidity have caused athletic events in Marion County to be altered.
- Horstman steps in to guide the Melcher-Dallas Saints in football Mike Horstman is the new head football coach at Melcher-Dallas. Horstman takes over for Ryan Conrad who took a teaching and coaching job at Waterloo East. Jim Crozier has moved from assistant varsity to junior high football coach, making for a new st
- Knoxville optimism high for Knoxville varsity football Optimism runs high for the start of the 2013 varsity football season in Knoxville. The Panthers are coming off a year when the squad was 4-5 overall and 2-4 in the district. Knoxville was in contention for a playoff spot entering the final week of th
Schatz comes from behind to win
Donny Schatz won his seventh Knoxville Nationals on Saturday night. The road to victory lane was more difficult for him this year.
- More Sports Headlines