Knoxville Fire Department responded to reports of a hazardous leak at Hormel on the evening of November 11.
At 8:07 p.m., the Knoxville Fire Department was dispatched to Hormel for an ammonia leak. KFD responded with two engines, three ambulances, one rescue vehicle and one command car with 12 personnel.
When the fire department arrived, they found that a valve was not functioning properly and leaking liquid ammonia. Hormel’s safety features worked as they should and confined the leak to the room of origin.
Hazardous Materials teams from Hormel and Marion County made entry into the room and were able to isolate the leaking valve and turn it off. Crews continued to monitor the air until levels were safe for Hormel’s crews to begin repairs on the leaking valve.
There were no injuries reported, and no residents had to be evacuated.
Knoxville Fire Department was assisted on scene by Knoxville Police Department, Hormel Hazardous Materials team, Marion County Hazardous Materials team, Pella EMS, Marion County EMA and Marion County Sheriff’s office. All units returned to the station at 11:23 p.m.