The Pleasantville School District canceled school on Monday, Oct. 7 following reports of a gas smell at the high school.
Students and faculty were asked to stay away from the junior high/high school building on Monday until an all-clear was given. Classes across all buildings in the district were canceled for the day.
Mid-American Energy was onsite investigating the source of the gas smell. After several hours of inspections and testing, Superintendent Tony Aylsworth said the source of the smell had been located.
The cause of the issue came from a faulty thermocouple on a gas stove in the Family and Consumer Science classroom in the high school.
Aylsworth said that, as a precaution, Mid-American Energy checked the entire building and AirCon Mechanical pressure tested all gas lines. The results showed gas lines as properly functioning.
Following the tests, the all-clear was given and the building was deemed safe to enter.
Classes at Pleasantville resumed as scheduled on Tuesday.