The Pleasantville School Board on Monday night approved the Marion County Hazard Mitigation Plan.
This step is necessary as the district moves forward with a safe room.
The district’s buildings and grounds committee met with Marion County Emergency Management Coordinator Jeff Anderson and Pleasantville Police Chief/City Manager Joe Mrstik.
If the safe room is constructed, it could double as a facility for the community in the summer. Superintendent Bob Miller said the district could possibly receive 75 percent of the costs of the building from the federal government and 10 percent from the state.
In other board action, the district’s early retirement incentive was approved.
Every five years, the board reviews whether or not to offer the incentive. There are seven teachers eligible for the incentive, which is either $50,000 in cash payments over five years or additional insurance coverage. Classified staff members can receive up to 43 percent of their current salary.
Other school board notes:
• High School Principal Gary Friday shared information regarding the school’s Pride of Iowa championship in the Knowledge Bowl, the success of the fall production “Suite Surrender” and the volleyball team earning the best record in school history.
• Elementary Principal Kelley Harrison shared information regarding professional development and literacy development.
• Information was shared about a student trip to Washington, D.C.
• Approved contracts for Joel Allman, middle school girls’ basketball, at $1,939 and Brittanee Grove, varsity assistant softball, at $2,631.50.
• Miller and Business Manager Robert Friday are exploring the possibility of revising current facilities rental agreements.
The administrators believe that for-profit organizations should pay the full rate to rent school facilities, while nonprofits should receive a discount.
• Approved an application for modified allowable growth from SBRC.
This annual function will provide the district money for students who moved into the district after the count date.
• Approved the sale of a small bus to Dallas Christian Church for $700 and a full-sized bus to Pleasantville Church of Christ for $2,200.
• The next regular board meeting will be Monday, Dec. 16, at 6:30 p.m.