Late November 2019 marked the Grand Theater’s fourth anniversary.
Sean Skeehan, Executive Director of the Grand Theater Foundation, says, “Folks appreciate having an affordable hometown theater that’s well maintained and offers a diverse selection of movies.”
During the first four years, the Grand Theater hit several milestones, including:
- 120,301 admissions sold
- 270 different feature-length movies screened
- 56,550-plus popcorns served
- 40,223-plus servings of butter topping
- 46,895-plus candies served
- 83,069-plus drinks served
A few highlights from the fourth year of operation included:
- New front doors and windows, making the entrance more attractive, energy-efficient and secure.
- The 3rd annual screening of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Screenings of all the 2018 Oscar Nominated Shorts.
- A free screening of Miracle on 34th Street, which was warmly received by the community.
- Hosting the Knoxville Chamber of Commerce annual meeting, The Heritage Foundation’s grant recipient presentation, birthday parties, an elaborate marriage proposal and other rental events.
- Hosting friends at COC from Knoxville and neighboring towns every month for a morning matinee.
- Donating hundreds of gift certificates to schools, churches, prom committees, benefits and local charities to aid in their fundraising efforts.
- Celebrating hundreds of volunteers on Volunteer Appreciation Night in April, who continue to be integral to the theater’s successful operation.
- Continuing Upstairs/Downstairs, where a couple of days every week the films flip from upstairs to downstairs and vise-versa enabling patrons to see all movie titles in their preferred theater, as well as avoiding the stairs should they desire or viewing a movie in the more intimate upstairs auditorium.
- A visit from Congressman Dave Loebsack for an informational tour of the facility in November.
The Grand Theater strives to engage a wide audience by programming a regularly changing selection of titles and different genres appealing to many diverse tastes. In addition to blockbuster action or comedy films, it also programs dramas and titles from smaller studios that aren’t widely shown elsewhere in Iowa.
The community is encouraged to sample all the different offerings, not just the super-hero, animated or outer-space features and to offer suggestions about titles.
Additionally, the Grand Theater is always on the lookout for ways to streamline operations, better organize the facility and improve the customer experience. Suggestions are always welcome.
The Grand Theater Foundation’s earned revenues from ticket and concession sales cover most of the operating expenses, but the theater relies on the generosity of individuals, groups, other foundations and businesses to close the gap and to fund improvements for efficiency, audience comfort. and program offerings.
Gifts to the Grand Theater Foundation that ensure its continued presence and success in the years to come are welcomed.
Details on all the programming at the Grand Theater are on its website: www.GrandTheaterKnoxville.org. For current performances, movie titles and showtimes, call the theater’s phone service at 641-842-5415.