Bybee & Davis

Bybee and Davis Funeral Home

The time has come for the Knoxville Journal-Express’ annual Honor Roll, a time we take to honor the local businesses in our community. This year, one of the standouts is Bybee and Davis Funeral Home.

Bybee and Davis Funeral Home has been in business for 148 years. The business was first owned by George W. Irvin for many years, when it was operated as a furniture store with an undertaking department on the northeast side of Knoxville’s square.

In 1906, the business was purchased by Knoxville citizen Lyman L. Bybee. The business expanded in 1911, building a new funeral home at 201 W. Main Street.

Throughout the years, the business saw several name changes, including Bybee and Mills, Bybee and Hall, Bybee and Son, and Bybee and Metz. During this time, Lyman’s son Allen “Pete” Bybee became a partner and took the business over when his father left to pursue other business interests.

In 1921, Bybee formed a partnership with J.M. “Jim” Davis, creating Bybee and Davis Furniture and Undertaking. As the business continued to expand and grow, the funeral home once again moved, this time to its present location at 301 N. Second St.

A major remodeling of the facility took place in 1961, which added a chapel, selection room and garage to the building. Since that time, additional renovations and remodels have been made to the building.

Bybee and Davis Funeral Home came into the hands of its current owner, Ray Bertrand, in 2000. Bertrand continues providing the same high standard of service today that was established by Lyman Bybee nearly 150 years ago.

To see other businesses in this year’s Honor Roll, see page B6.

Emma Skahill can be reached at eskahill@journalexpress.net or by calling the newsroom at 641-842-2155.

Recommended for you